Of all the knowledge bases made more accessible by a knowledge management system, lessons learned or “best practices” are arguably among the most valuable. To build an effective lessons learned document, follow these steps:
- Get input from everyone involved, as each contributor will deliver a slightly different perspective on the project.
- Identify the problems encountered at each stage, and the resulting solution.
- Explain in detail why the aforementioned issues arose, and how similar scenarios should be avoided in the future.
- Highlight your team’s successes! Lessons learned aren’t exclusively about struggle, so be sure to emphasize the wins.
- Store the lessons learned in a centralized, easily accessible repository of knowledge.